From time to time, I’ll review some of the tools I use because there are some I really like. 🙂
For a very long time, I did not own a mandolin. I just cut everything with my knife and dealt with them not all being perfectly the same thickness. Nor did I worry about things being pretty – that’s usually what my brother Paul is for when we cook together. However, I finally caved in and bought one, mostly because I’m lazy. Seriously, using one takes half the time of cutting things with a knife.
The one I ended up purchasing is this one:
(Btw, that’s an affiliate link – in case you feel like buying one. A small percentage goes onto an amazon gift card for me, because I spend most of my money on Amazon anyway. LOL)
It works GREAT and comes with a lot of options.
- The blades are hardened stainless steel and hold their edge. I’ve had mine for a year now and use it frequently and have not noticed any dull spots at all.
- Simple to adjust in thickness – from 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 inches.
- Straight and wavy blades for straight or crinkle cuts, and julienne blades for French Fries or fine julienne strips.
- The food holder is fine for those who need it (I like living on the edge) and the ‘runway’ is designed well to keep food from sticking.
- The dial on the side is easily turned to adjust thickness, and also locks it when storing and unlocks it for cleaning.
- Love the non-slip feet to keep it in place when using and they fold up so it stores flat.
The only thing I wish could be changed about it is the ease of cleaning. The blades come out simply enough to clean, but the rest is all connected together, so makes it a bit awkward to clean after you’ve used it. Still, I recommend it highly!